This Tuesday, October 1st, marks the beginning of the 16th annual National Book Month. Started in 2003, National Book Month is a month-long celebration during October dedicated to books and reading. Created by the National Book Foundation, this celebratory season is centered around the National Book Awards, which, according to the NBF, “were established in 1950 to celebrate the best writing in America. Since 1989, they have been overseen by the National Book Foundation, a nonprofit organization whose mission is to celebrate the best literature in America, expand its audience, and ensure that books have a prominent place in American culture.” Five Finalists are announced mid-October.
Once the awards are given out, we can borrow these amazing works of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and young people’s literature from our a local library or find them in BAW Book Spots.
While we wait for this year’s selections, here are ten things you can do to celebrate National Book Month with Books Are Wings:
- Spend twenty minutes reading as a family each night.
- Give the gift of literacy all year by supporting our GOL Campaign. Learn More Here.
- Visit a Book Spot and choose a new book to take home. Find A Book Spot.
- Visit your local library and borrow some books you’ve never read before.
- Host your own “book awards.” Pick ten picks your family loves, and have each person vote for their favorite.
- Share your favorite book with someone else. Put it in a Book Spot, or give it to a friend at school.
- Leave BAW a note about why reading and books are important to you in our book journals located in our Central Falls Book Spots.
- Write your own book, poem or short story!
- Write a book review of your favorite book to share with family or friends. Be creative, draw pictures, add photos and make sure to explain why the books interests you so much.
- Learn more about your favorite author – libraries are great places to do research on authors, poets and writing.
Enjoy this wonderful month that reminds as all of the importance of books, reading and authors! Tag #booksarewingsnbm as you celebrate!